Acne is annoying. We all know it. Unfortunately, we also know a few myths about it that can actually make your acne worse. According to Teen Vogue here are a few acne myths you should stop believing:
1. Diet Has Nothing to do with Breakouts
If you've been drinking too much dairy, it could be causing acne. “If a client is eating poorly, then breakouts and cysts will continue no matter what."
2. You Can Never Wash Your Face Too Much
You shouldn't actually wash your face more than twice per day. Only wash in the morning, and then wash off your makeup before you go to bed.
3. You Should Put Toothpaste on a Pimple to Clear It up
This can actually irritate your skin. There are other homemade remedies, like using apple cider vinegar, that'll do the trick instead.
4. If You Can’t Get to a Derm, Just Pop Your Pimples Yourself
You're not actually meant to pop your pimples. They'll go away, eventually. Besides, it's better to have a smooth bump on your skin than a bleeding scab, don't you think?
5. You Should Lay out in the Sun to Clear up Your Acne
If you spend too much time under the sun, it will increase your chance of sun cancer. That's why you should
6. It’s Impossible to Fade Acne Scarring
You can try wearing SPF. You can try "a product that has glycolic and lactic acid." Or you could try laser treatments and peels.
7. Exfoliate as Much as Possible
Only exfoliate two or three times per week. You don't want to go overboard with it, just like you don't want to go overboard when washing your face.
What other acne myths have you been taught?